Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year?

I hope so.

2010 was probably the saddest year of my life. My grandfather passed away in May, just one month before the 1 year anniversary of my grandmother's death. Nana dying was by far the worst thing to ever happen to me. We we very close, even closer than my mother and I so it hit me really hard. I was still grieving for her when my Pop passed and the sadness and guilt of his death was magnified. Not guilt because I felt responsible but guilt because I didn't see him enough. I had meant to visit him for a couple of weeks before he died and only went to call him the day before he passed but forgot and I was so incredibly angry at myself for letting that opportunity pass. I hope he knows that I loved him, even if I found it hard to show him xo

2010 was also the year I 'lost' my best friend.  We had been friends since grade 8 in high school but past experiences taught me that she wasn't a person that could be relied on or even trusted and I guess I finally had enough. I have made some lovely friends in the last 12 months and even though we aren't really close, I found that I could rely on them more than my 'best' friend of 15+ years. It was incredibly sad to admit and she now knows how I feel so if the friendship is ever to be mended, the ball is in her court. I do miss her terribly but life is far too short to waste time on people that treat you like shit!

So moving on! That's the goal. I do have some resolutions and will hopefully be able to stick to them!

1. Save $$, don't spend it!
HA! I felt physically ill when I realised how much disposable cash we blew last year :S M and I could've easily taken 2 lengthy overseas holidays but what did we go? Nowhere! We have a few big things planned for the future so its time to curb the spending and start seriously saving!

2. Eat better - cook more!
February 2011 will mark 12 months of veganism for M and I. When we first started out, everything was new and exciting and I enjoyed trying out new recipes and foods. Fast forward 10 months, add a hectic work and social schedule and most of our meals consist of grilled vegetables on toast or potatoes! Seriously boring and not too nutritious. So this year, I vow to get back to being creative (or at least active) in the kitchen :)

3. Get more sleep
Most nights I work freelance after hours and it takes a little time to unwind before bed so we rarely go to sleep before midnight on a school night. This leads to 7:45am wake ups when we need to leave for work at 8! I'm sick of the rushing around in the mornings and would like a little more time at home so bed at 10:30 each night is the goal...

4. Read more
This seems to be a popular resolution for a few friends. I miss reading and getting lost in different worlds but rarely get the time. I'm going to try and spend less time online and more time with my nose a book. I closed my Facebook down just after Christmas so hopefully that will help. I do still have my Twitter though...

2 comments: